Photographer G Venkat Ram has designed a novel calendar recreating the paintings of Raja Ravi Varma with south Indian actresses and dancers to celebrate “the spirit of Indian womanhood” for the year 2020 for the NAAM Charitable Trust. South Indian actresses like Samantha Akkineni, Shruti Haasan, Aishwarya Rajesh, Ramya Krishnan, and Manchu Lakshmi have featured in the unique calendar.
The recreation made by G Venkat Ram is so accurate that it’s hard to detect any difference from the latest pictures when juxtaposing it to the original paintings from the 19th century.
The calendar is brought by NAAM Charitable Trust, founded by actor and director Suhasini Maniratnam to celebrate a decade of empowering single women from under-served segments of society.
Take a look at the recreated pictures featuring the following stars-
- An expectant mother holding a fruit symbolic of a new life, portrayed by Samantha Akkineni
2. Portrait of Rani of Kurupam, portrayed by Shruti Hassan.
3. Painting reflecting the private lives of women from different social backgrounds, portrayed by Nadia.
4. Portrait of a royal woman from Kerala, portrayed by Lissy Laksmi.
5. Portrait of a high minded woman, the Rani of Pudukottai, portrayed by Aishwarya Rajesh.
6. Kadambari, Portrait of a modern, intellectual Bengali lady, portrayed by Priyadarshini Govind.
7. Radha in moonlight, portrayed by Shruti Hassan.
8. Damayanti listens in rapt attention to the tales of Nala from the swan, portrayed by Ramya Krishnan.
9. Portrait of Rani Chimnabai one after whom Lakshmi Vilas palace in Tanjore is named, portrayed by Lakshmi Manchu.
10. Portrait of a Maharashtrian lady after a temple visit, portrayed by Khushbu Sundar.
11. There comes papa’ portrait of Ravi Varma ‘s daughter Mahaprabha, portrayed by Shohna Chandrakumar.
12. Portrait of Maharani Lakshmi Bai who became the Senior Rani of Travancore, portrayed by Chamundeshwari, a beneficiary at Naam.
The recreation is so commendable that even many other stars could’nt stop themselves from praising it.